Position: Building Custodian, site
Supervisor: Site Operations manager
Employee Code: 6012
Employment Status: part-time Status: non-Exempt
Manual work assisting with cleaning and performing custodial and minor facilities maintenance of buildings and grounds for the EarlyWorks Family of Museums, including Alabama Constitution Village, The Historic Huntsville Depot and the EarlyWorks Children’s Museum. Work assignments are received from the Operations Manager of the assigned location and are carried out in accordance with established procedures. Work is evaluated through inspections, observation of work preformed, the appearance and condition of the facility assigned, and performance evaluations.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Utilizes cleaners, chemicals, and disinfectants to clean and sanitize restrooms including sinks, countertops, mirrors, commodes, urinals, waste cans and floors; restocks restroom supplies including soap, toilet tissue, and paper towels; cleans water fountains.
- Sweeps/mops hallways, elevators, stairways; vacuums carpets, floor mats, and flooring in public and office areas.
- Collects and disposes of all trash from public and office areas
- Performs a variety of grounds maintenance duties such as sweeping, raking, trash removal and light building/grounds maintenance
- Cleans exterior and interior windows and blinds
- Picks up and disposes of litter at all inside and outside areas.
- Utilizes cleaning equipment such as vacuums, various mops, brooms, ringer bucket, pressure washer, blower, and other related equipment while performing essential functions.
- Assist with the reset of rooms and displays by moving furniture and materials
- Assists with set-up and take down of tables, picnic tables, chairs and benches as needed for groups, special functions and events.
Recommended Preparation for Employment:
- Knowledge of cleaning materials, equipment, methods and procedures
- Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment effectively
- Ability to perform manual and semi-skilled work
- Ability to follow verbal and written instruction
- Ability to assist the public in a courteous manor
Necessary Special Requirement:
- Valid driver’s license
- High School diploma or equivalent desired
Physical and Environmental Factors:
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Work requires frequent physical effort such as sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, kneeling and lifting light to moderately heavy objects. Work also requires physical dexterity in the frequent use of hand-eye coordination and manipulative skills using fingers and limbs. Work exposes employee to hazards associated with cleaning and disinfecting materials; occasional body fluids and sewage; running motors and pumps; and traffic hazards.