Position: Director of Guest Experience, site
Supervisor: Executive Director
Employment Status: full-time
The position of Guest Experience Director will lead and direct all guest operations; including guest services, exhibits, tours and program development. The Director will have the responsibility for consistently providing a high quality guest experience for The EarlyWorks Family of Museums guest, in support of the Museum’s Mission. The Director is a key member of the management team and reports directly to the Executive Director. The qualified candidate will have strong knowledge and experience in creating and sustaining a culture of outstanding guest service and engagement, preferably in an active museum setting.
- Manage the guest operations functions to support and achieve the mission of the EarlyWorks Family of Museums. Overall responsibility to continue developing a culture of high quality guest service and engagement for guests who experience any of the organization’s facilities, programs and events.
- Design and implement innovative standards and procedures, training and performance management systems. Additional responsibilities will include participating in the employee selection process and performance counseling.
- Direct, coach and manage all frontline and tour guide employees, including full time, part time, and seasonal staff as well as a growing corps of volunteers.
- Through data analysis and customer evaluation, develop and execute enhancements to improve the Museum’s performance and efficiency.
- Assist the Executive Director in developing and implementing strategic plans to fulfill the Museum’s Mission.
- Establish and measure departmental goals in areas including, but not limited to, revenue generating programs and offerings, guest ratings, training and safety.
- Develop and administer a detailed department budget including labor analysis, forecasting, and variances and operating within budget guidelines.
- Support museum-wide events as needed including special events, education programs and fundraising/member events.
- Work closely with the Facilities team ensuring proper on-going maintenance of equipment, exhibits and the physical appearance of the building, both internally and externally.
- Work with designated contacts at The EarlyWorks Family of Museums to effectively operate the tours and programs at Alabama Constitution Village, Huntsville Depot Museum, and the EarlyWorks Children’s Museum.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field with a minimum of 5 years of leadership experience managing a broad range of operating functions in a guest/customer centered industry. Hands-on museum or hospitality industry experience strongly preferred.
- A strong understanding of business processes including budgeting, operations and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated experience in developing innovative programs resulting in high quality guest experiences.
- A strong desire and commitment to providing exceptional guest service.
- Experience managing an hourly workforce working varying shifts is a plus.
- Strong coaching capabilities to lead and develop a strong team of effective frontline employees.
- Demonstrated success in effectively collaborating with teams from multiple departments and/or functions across the company for the purpose of achieving common goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and identify creative solutions to problems and issues before and as they arise. Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office. A strong understanding and aptitude for technology is required to evaluate new trends and products available to enhance the customer experience.
- Exceptional project management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to operate effectively as a tactical as well as a strategic thinker.
- Outstanding communication, presentation, interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to effectively interface with all levels of the organizations including senior management.
- Ability to resolve conflict with professionalism, integrity, credibility and a commitment to the mission of The EarlyWorks Family of Museums.
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, holidays, as needed.
Physical and Environmental Factors:
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Work requires physical effort such as sitting, standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending and stooping, kneeling and lifting light to moderately heavy objects.
Work requires use of computer keyboard and monitor.